Action items for Northfield!
From: Mary Jo Cristofaro (mjcristofarogmail.com)
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 10:44:58 -0700 (PDT)
Transition folks- I know this might be a duplicate email  for many of you but important information  from1) MN 350 to call to Franken about rejecting the Keystone pipeline! 2)Northfield's Chapter of Citizens Climate Lobby below! I hope you can take time to write a letter to Kline about his climate stance ( see sample letter enclosed)  3) the write up of Earth Day and invite to upcoming community solar meetings.
Cheers-
Mary Jo Cristofaro

1)A bill to approve Keystone XL is 4 votes away from passing the US Senate. Big oil needs the vote of Senator Al Franken to build the pipeline. Can you call and tell him to vote no on Keystone XL?

Senator Al Franken hasn't said how he'll vote on this bill, and big oil needs his vote to approve the pipeline.

Can you give Sen. Franken a call today and tell him to stand with us, not big oil, and vote against the Keystone XL pipeline?

Click here to get the number and make your call: act.350.org/call/kxl-senate-2014-calls-1/

2)Below from CCL:
There were an even dozen of us at the chapter meeting on Saturday. The national speaker was good, and the conversation the call prompted was even better. (You can listen to a recording by going to the CCL website -- it should be posted in a day or two.)

For those of you unable to attend the meeting, we all agreed to send letters or postcards to Rep. Kline, and to also send notes to Sen. Franken and Klobuchar as time permitted. Because we will be visiting Rep. Kline's office next week, it would be VERY helpful if you would write him a note by the end of the week.

To get you started, I asked permission to share Alan's letter to Rep. Kline. I'm confident you can find something in his letter to echo in a postcard of your own.

Here are the local addresses:

Rep. John Kline
350 W Burnsville Pkwy   Ste 135
Burnsville MN 55337

Sen. Al Franken
60 E Plato Blvd  Ste 220
Saint Paul MN 55107

Sen. Amy Klobuchar
1200 Washington Ave So
Minneapolis MN 55415

Fossil fuels = carbon pollution = climate change = the loss of a livable planet (for humans)   Save our home, save our children, stop fracking around and give us alternatives!

Looking for something average citizens can do that will make a difference? Go to http://citizensclimatelobby.org/

May events prove better than we envision.

3) Northfield’s 5th Perennial Earth Day Celebration “A Call to Action” took place April 25 and 26. The event kicked off with a Community Solar 101 presentation followed by a series of earth-friendly opportunities and educational resources on Saturday to learn: new skills, build self-reliance, and take part in community service – all in an effort to move toward a more sustainable future.

“There was great energy at the event,” said organizer Mary Jo Cristofaro of Transition Northfield, who witnessed a sizable crowd at this year’s celebration and was impressed with the care and compassion people obviously have in Northfield to provide a healthier environment and a giving attitude toward stewardship in our area.

Similar to the Northfield Area Climate Summit that took place earlier this year, there were all kinds of activities to do -- from making your own healthy foods, creating raised gardens and eco-friendly handmade goods to talking about rising CO2 levels and its long-term impact, solar power options, and finding ways to capture rain to water your own lawn and garden.  There was also a new local bike advocacy group there (BikeNorthfield) to help people tune up their cycles and learn rules of the road. And tree planting took place over on Central Park. Over 130 people came together to share in a community dinner put together by the Earth Day team.  All the activities were free of charge including some tree giveaways.

The meaning of Earth Day is recognizing the impact we humans have had on the health of our planet; skyrocketing CO2 levels are not safe for any living creature. It’s about changing our actions and making a difference,” said Cristofaro.  Although Earth Day comes around only once a year, it is a good reminder for all of us to take some action.

Cristofaro and others have created a Northfield Area Community Solar initiative where the community is discussing viable options in creating community solar arrays in the Northfield area. All are welcome to attend upcoming meetings: Wednesday May 7th 12:00pm-1:00pm in the Northfield Public Library community room and Friday May 23rd 12:00pm- 2:30pm in Northfield Public Library community room.

For ongoing sustainability efforts in Northfield visit The Greater Northfield Sustainability Collaborative website’s at: www.northfieldsustainability.org/