Important action for community agriculture - May 14, 7 am, Minneapolis
From: Shodo Spring (shodo.springgmail.com)
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 13:40:24 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Friends,

Please share this with anyone who might not know and who might like to
attend in support of our right to continue CSA practices.

*Mothers Threatened with Criminal Charges Openly Defy Minnesota Department
of Agriculture*

*Farmer Charged Criminally for Providing Fresh Food to Mothers*

Minneapolis, MN, May 7, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- A civil disobedience
action and rally will be held next week to protest the Minneapolis trial of
farm buying club manager, Alvin Schlangen. Sponsored by the Farm Food
Freedom Coalition <http://farmfoodfreedom.org>, customers and supporters
from around the state and country will rally for Schlangen on the first day
of his criminal trial on Monday, May 14 at 7:00 a.m., outside the
Minneapolis courthouse.

At the rally supporters will sign a "Declaration of Food Independence" and
demonstrate non-compliance against what they deem "unjust" regulations. The
rally is expected to draw hundreds. Details about the event are on the Raw
Milk Freedom Riders <http://rawmilkfreedomriders.wordpress.com/> website.

Several Minnesota mothers who organize community access to local fresh farm
foods plan to risk criminal charges by openly and publicly defying warnings
from the Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA). The MDA has threatened
several mothers, conducted investigations against them and sent them
warning letters that if they continue helping provide fresh food to their
friends and neighbors, they will be subject to criminal charges and
prosecution. The MDA alleges the Mothers are violating food-handling
regulations.

Dozens of individuals who are disgusted with what they regard as MDA's
overly aggressive tactics are expected to join in the same activity as
these mothers.

"It is absolutely outrageous that during this time of economic crisis our
state government is investigating and sending warning letters to mothers
and putting farmers on trial who are helping provide communities with fresh
foods. It is my right to contract privately with a farmer for the food of
my choice just as it is the right of every American," says Melinda Olson a
mother and recipient of one of the MDA's letters. "The MDA's harassment
against mothers will not work. We plan to ignore this warning and continue
operating as we are. MDA should not waste taxpayer money investigating,
prosecuting and jailing peaceful farmers and mothers for helping their
communities secure fresh foods. Our time to stand up against this tyranny
is now!"

In addition to the threatening letters the MDA sent the mothers, MDA has
brought charges against two local farmers for supplying their communities
with fresh foods. Mothers who rely on the food and delivery service of one
of these farmers, Alvin Schlangen, are facing loss of their food supply if
Schlangen is jailed on four misdemeanor charges for providing food to his
community. The charges against Schlangen stem from alleged handling of food
without a permit, mislabeling food, and handling unprocessed, fresh milk,
which is a crime according to the MDA.

Pete Kennedy, Esq., President of the Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund,
who tracks farm-to-consumer direct trade issues nationally, says, "Nowhere
in the country at this time is state action against food freedom and
consumer choice more oppressive than in the state of Minnesota."

Information about farm raids: http://www.FarmFoodFreedom.org For additional
information on farm food and nutrition: http://westonaprice.org.

*Farm Food Freedom Coalition* <http://farmfoodfreedom.org>* (FFFC) wants to
ensure that America's treasures, our independent farms and ranches, are
able to thrive. We aim to preserve our agricultural heritage and the future
availability of traditional, farm fresh foods. Americans want and deserve
the freedom to choose natural, unprocessed foods for generations to come.*

*The Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund* <http://farmtoconsumer.org>* defends
the rights and broadens the freedoms of family farms and protects consumer
access to raw milk and nutrient-dense foods. Concerned citizens can support
the FTCLDF, a U.S. based 501(c)(4) nonprofit, by joining or donating online
at **www.farmtoconsumer.org* <http://farmtoconsumer.org/>* or by calling
703-208-FARM (3276).*
CONTACT: Contact: Liz Reitzig, Co-founder, Farm Food Freedom Coalition
         301-807-5063, lizreitzig [at] gmail.com

Contact: Kimberly Hartke, Publicist, Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund
         703-860-2711, kim.hartke [at] gmail.com

 Dear Peter: In a new level of intrusion into private contracts between
farmers and local customers, mothers who host “drop sites” for their farm
buying club are being threatened with criminal charges in Minnesota. Fed
up, some consumers are willing to risk arrest rather than have their state
dictate food choice. –Kimberly Hartke, Publicist****

*

[...]

**

        ****