Joel Salatin coming to Carleton next week
From: Angel Dobrow (adobrowhotmail.com)
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 09:17:07 -0800 (PST)
Sorry if you receive duplicates of this! Angel Dobrow

Thought I'd let you know about a great program at Carleton a week from Friday.
These lectures are free and open to the public!
Convocation: Joel Salatin
Joel Salatin is a self-described environmentalist
 capitalist lunatic farmer, or as the New York Times calls him, "the
high priest of the pasture." Salatin and his family own and operate
Polyface Farm, arguably the nation's most famous farm since it was
profiled in Michael Pollan's bestseller, The Omnivore's Dilemma and two
subsequent documentaries, Food, Inc., and Fresh.
 Differing from today's industrial commodity-based machine-driven farms,
 Polyface is a local, pasture-based, relationally oriented farm. His
innovative farming system—where the animals live according to their
"ness," the earth is used for symbiosis, and happiness and health is
key—has gained attention from around the country. Recognition for his
ecological and local-based farming advocacy includes an honorary
doctorate, the Heinz Award, and many leadership awards. Salatin has also
 authored seven books on alternative farming and sustainability issues.
While most Americans seem to think our techno-glitzy disconnected
celebrity-worshipping culture will be the first to sail off into a Star
Trek future unencumbered by ecological umbilicals, Salatin bets that the
 future will instead incorporate more tried and true realities from the
past. Ours is the first culture with no chores for children, cheap
energy, heavy mechanization, computers, supermarkets, TV dinners and
unpronounceable food. Although he doesn't believe that we will return to
 horses and buggies, wash boards, and hoop skirts, Salatin believes we
will go back in order to go forward, using technology to re-establish
historical normalcy. That normalcy will include edible landscapes,
domestic larders, pastured livestock, solar driven carbon cycling for
fertility, and a visceral relationship with life’s fundamentals: food,
energy, water, air, soil, fabric, shelter. We may as well get started
enthusiastically than be dragged reluctantly into this more normal
existence. The title of Salatin's presentation is "Folks, This Ain't
Normal."