Community action ideas
From: Paul Sebby (psebbywell.com)
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 09:57:35 -0800 (PST)
Charles Eisenstein, who writes much on the Gift Economy and is a strong
supporter of the Occupy movement, has a very interesting article about future
tangible goals for the movement.  Since there's a certain overlap between the
community engagement activities of Occupy and Transition, I thought this
article might be of general interest:
http://www.realitysandwich.com/where_next_occupy

For example, he mentions that as cities are forced by financial circumstances
to make deep cuts, people can step up and fill some of those roles such as
providing library or personal protection services.  [Isn't the well-liked
Booker mobile children's library currently in mothballs here in Northfield?
Could someone restart that, even if on a small scale?]  We should view every
cut in services as an OPPORTUNITY to step up and provide those services in a
human, caring way instead of in a profit-dependent way.

He also recommends that we "occupy the economy" by setting up alternatives to
currency:  "I think a time-based system (like Ithaca Hours) would be ideal."
That is exactly what Transition Northfield has set up in our Community Exchange
system at transitionnorthfield.org/commex which currently has 26 members and
several dozen goods and services that are available for free from members of
our community.

I think we will see more and more opportunities for serving our community in
2012.

  Paul