Speaker from Paraguay at Just Food
From: Olivia Frey (oliviafrey209hotmail.com)
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:38:18 -0700 (PDT)
I'm sending this announcement to some folks on my contact list--The Green
coalition, and interested Key folks. See attachment, hoping I can get it to
attach. Olivia
In the midst of a global food, energy and climate
crisis more and more people are challenging the destructive
industrialized agricultural model by constructing local

and regional alternatives with a vision for food sovereignty
worldwide.

We hear little to nothing in the US media about Paraguay,
yet Paraguayan peasant and Indigenous communities have been
fighting one of the most unheard of wars: the ?soybean wars.?
These are making record high profits through the expansion of
large-scale industrial monoculture production of Monsanto?s
genetically modified soy at the expense of impoverishing local communities,
human
rights abuses and environmental destruction.

Come hear directly from Leticia Galeano, an inspiring young leader from the
Movimiento Agrario y Popular (a peasant organization in the department of
Caaguazu)
and university student in Asuncion, Paraguay. Leticia will speak about
militarization in

Paraguay, criminalization of social movements, local resistance to soy
expansion and

about the role of US agribusiness giants like ADM, Bunge and Cargill in the
soybean
wars.

Seating is limited for this important event. Please call Just Food Co-op at
507-650-0106 as soon as possible to reserve your seat. Recommended donation
of $5-$10 would be appreciated to help cover the costs. This opportunity made
possible by Witness for Peace.

Held in the Just Food Event Space

516 Water St S, Northfield

on September 26 from 7-8:30 p.m.